Senior snowboarder plows through competition

Brian

Story By Dyer Whitt

Video By Keith Kellenberger
KCBY Staff Member

At just 17 years old, Coppell High School senior Brandon Rainbolt is already establishing himself in the sport of professional snowboarding. With multiple regional and local championships under his belt, Rainbolt’s skills in the sport are not of your average Texan.

“I started snowboarding when I was 8, but hated it at first. It wasn’t until a few years later when I was landing tricks that many kids would dream of that I really decided to pursue the sport,” Rainbolt said.

Since he started competing at age 13, Rainbolt has been destroying the slopes and turning heads while earning high ranks in various snowboarding competitions. With a lot of willpower, determination and the help of friends to keep him motivated, Rainbolt’s future in the sport is quite promising.

Unbeknownst to most of his competitors, Rainbolt actually lives in Texas for the majority of the year only to retreat to his family’s cabin in Angel Fire, N.M. for the winter season.

Chris Rainbolt, Brandon’s father, went through a lot of sacrifice to make this a dream come true for Brandon and the rest of his siblings.

“I moved the family to New Mexico so that Brandon as well as his brother, Dillon, and sister, Brittney, could compete in snowboarding and skiing,” Mr. Rainbolt said.

Once the Rainbolt’s began living the winter season in New Mexico, Brandon did all he could to not take his dad’s efforts for granted.

“My dad is a great influence on me and the sport. I don’t want his sacrifices to go to waste and this is what really drives me to perform at my best,” Rainbolt said.

While even having to enroll in a New Mexico public school, Brandon was unfazed by the new challenge of living in a new place, climate and school.

“It was weird at first coming from a graduating class of almost 700 in Texas to a graduating class of eight in New Mexico. I always liked moving, however, and adapted well to the change,” Rainbolt said.

In addition to the sport of snowboarding, this year, while living in Texas, Rainbolt started as a safety for the Cowboys football team. Playing a full contact team sport in the sweltering Texas heat is quite different from the self-relying aspects and frigid weather that come with snowboarding.

Although the two lifestyles are contradicting and seem tough to balance, it is Rainbolt’s character that helps him strive for perfection in both areas.

Coppell football coach Joe McBride knows a winner’s attitude when he sees one.

“Brandon puts a lot of effort into what he does on the football field, and I think his discipline and hard work is what helps his success in football and snowboarding alike,” McBride said.

While Brandon’s self-motivation allows him to keep a positive demeanor and attitude towards his sport and life in general, there is more to the athlete’s determination.

In the year of 2007, when Rainbolt was in eighth grade, his mother was battling melanoma skin cancer, which later that year turned terminal.

The devastation of the loss of his mother left Rainbolt unable to compete in his sport of snowboarding for some time. However, five years later, Rainbolt came out looking better than ever.

“When I came back to the sport, the passing of my mom motivated me a lot,” Rainbolt said. “It was something she would have wanted to see and be apart of and therefore it allows me to live in the now and go all out when I’m competing or training.”

As much of a rush snowboarding is for Rainbolt, the feeling he gets when he snowboards now is indescribable and filled with emotion.

“Every time I snowboard it feels like the first time,” Rainbolt said. “I like striving for the accomplishment and the thrill. It’s really exciting.”

With graduation coming up this month for Rainbolt and the summer following, he will only be looking forward to one thing, the chance to get back on his snowboard.

“This season I would like to remain ranked in the country despite competing less and also be invited to the USA Snowboard Association National Championship,” Rainbolt said.

His aspirations will come at a price, as he will continue to train hard in the offseason, but while also enjoying the summer heat in Texas.

Directed, shot, and edited by Keith Kellenberger