Event schedule heats up for summer

Event+schedule+heats+up+for+summer+

Corrina Taylor

Summer break provides students with a break from school to catch up with friends and just have fun. More times then not students find themselves bored with all their extra time, this is why I have compiled a list of concerts and movies that will be coming to the Dallas area during this summer to ensure that this summer will be as enjoyable as possible.

May:

Blink 182: May 10 at Global Event Center at WinStar World Resort, tickets range from $80 to $100.

This rock band consists of Singer Tom DeLonge, guitarist Mark Hoppus, and drummer Travis Barker. It has been around since 1994, but the band broke up for a short time while Tom DeLonge left to form his own band Angels and Airwaves. Their music can be described as upbeat rock consisting of popular songs such as “All the Small Things”, “What’s My Age Again” and “I Miss You”. Unfortunately they will not be in Dallas, but they will be an hour away in Thackerville, Okla at the Global Event Center at WinStar World Resort.

Marilyn Manson: May 11 Palladium Ballroom in Dallas, tickets are $50 for general seating.

This artist has been around for a long time creating his alternative metal or rock music, though it is not necessarily his music that causes much controversy. His more famous songs include “Sweet Dreams (Are made of these)”, “The Beautiful People”, and “The Dope Show”. Be warned some of the music videos are eccentric and can be alarming.

Men in Black III: hits theaters May 25

The duo is back in their all new movie; Men in Black III. Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones are back in this all new movie fighting against the alien forces. There is a twist on this new movie; Smith’s character has to go back in time to stop an alien from assassinating Jones and in doing so he meets up with the younger version of his friend. The movie follows Smith on his journey through time in order to save his friend. This movie is expected to be as good as the original movies if not better.

June:

Van Halen: June 20 at American Airlines Center, tickets range from $40 to $164.

Best known its amazing guitarist, Eddie Van Halen, this band has left a huge mark on the rock world as a whole. Eddie changed the way of electric guitars with his extraordinary talent. The music we have today is all in thanks to this band, They will be visiting the American Airlines Center in Dallas this summer in what is sure to be one of the best concerts of the summer. Popular songs by Van Halen include Panama, Jump, and Drop Dead Legs, be sure to mark this on your calendar because it is sure to be a memorable concert.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter: hits theaters June 22

Benjamin Walker takes the traditional role of Abraham Lincoln to a completely different level in this new film, Lincoln will not only be fighting slavery, but vampires as well. This thriller movie is based off of the novel by Seth Grahame-Smith and is based on Lincoln’s secret diaries that he recorded that reveals a whole new outlook and opinion of our 16th president.

One Direction: June 23 at the Gexa Energy Pavilion, tickets are $40 to $80.

This teenage heartthrob band has gained a tremendous amount of fame in the past couple of months. Their pop music has won the hearts of millions of girls around the world, and to the delight of many Dallas girls they are coming to town. They will be playing at the Gexa Energy Convention in June and the American Airlines Center in for those who love them enough to see them twice.

July:

Vans Warped Tour:  July 3 at the Gexa Energy Pavilion, tickets are $47.

This yearly concert event is the highlight of the summer for some. This year there are numerous great bands that will be attending. Such bands include The Used, Breath Carolina, Of Mice and Men, Falling in Reverse and Taking Back Sunday. This concert event is filled with passionate concert goers, and is a fun time for all.

The Dark Knight Rises: hits theaters July 20

The Batman trilogy ends in July with what is expecting to be the hit of the summer. This movie has Christian Bale playing as the masked vigilante Batman and has some new faces to the cast. Anne Hathaway appears at Catwoman and Tom Hardy stars as Bane the newest terrorist to coerce Gotham. The first two movies were a huge success so a lot of pressure is riding on this last movie to make “The Dark Knight Rises better than the first two in order to close the series with a success.

Summer Slaughter Tour: July 25 at the House of Blues for $40.

This tour is not as widely known as Vans Warped Tour, however that does not mean it is not as entertaining. This year bands include Cannibal Corpse, Between the Buried and Me, Job For a Cowboy, and The Faceless. These bands are mainly hard rock and only appeal to some, but for those who do enjoy this type of music are sure to have a exciting time.