BCS meltdown

By Travis Bremner

Two points. Big deal, huh? Just ask Oklahoma.

Iowa squeaked by Michigan State 15-13 on a late touchdown and the Hawkeyes moved up two spots in the latest BCS standings. But why? Both Cincinnati and Boise State throttled their conference opponents, and they move down. Explain that.

It was by those same two points that Alabama held to for a victory over Tennessee. They drop to number 2 in AP poll, which is really a beauty pageant poll now but nonetheless, when Florida was barely able to get out of Mississippi State alive. I wonder sometimes how much creditability goes into these polls, I fear to think not as much as there should be.

Not that this will change anything because we know the BCS isn’t changing anytime soon, but what if we had six undefeated teams at season’s end? Talk about a nightmare.

Currently there are seven undefeated schools but two are Florida and Alabama, those two teams seem destined to meet in the SEC championship game, where one will suffer a loss. The other five are Texas, Iowa, Boise State, Cincinnati and TCU.

Boise State’s schedule is filled with a bunch of States’, Techs’ and Idaho. TCU has one tough game against No. 16 Utah, the Horned Frogs will no doubt be looking to avenge loss seasons 13-10 loss, and they’re at home.

Texas, Iowa and Cincinnati are in the ‘BCS conferences’ so schedule doesn’t play as big a factor. If they go undefeated along with Florida or Alabama, that’s shades of 2004 when USC, Oklahoma and Auburn end the year without a loss. Except now you have Boise State and TCU

It would like this (assuming Florida beats Alabama in SEC championship):

1. Florida (13-0)
  2. Texas (13-0)
  3. Iowa (12-0)
  4. TCU (12-0)
  5. Boise State (13-0)
  6. Cincinnati (12-0)
  7. Alabama (12-1)

How does the BCS explain that? Could we dream up anything more perfect? Well it seems we can, because I am.

The underlying question would be how far you move down Alabama if they lost to Florida, I would put them behind the six undefeated teams, most wouldn’t. But really it wouldn’t matter where they land because would get a BCS berth.

This scenario would bring out the biggest of flaws in this system, which is a flaw in itself. It’s basically a flaw in a flaw, and the flaw doesn’t know it’s a flaw. Heck, we’re all confused.

None of this would change anything though; the BCS has, and will continue to disregard any attempt to put a playoff format in place.