Cowboys soccer loses, 2-1, in playoff upset to Hebron

By Chris Reagan

The district champion Coppell Cowboys lost in a heartbreaking 2-1 upset to Hebron on Tuesday in the Class 5A bi-district playoffs at Buddy Echols Field.

Both teams played a very heated game with many penalties as each were fighting to stay alive in the playoffs. Many yellow cards were given out to gain control of them game including a red card on Coppell senior Philip Ellis in the final seconds.

Hebron started off the scoring midway through first half on a shot by Connor Richmond.

Coppell had issues with shots all game either falling just off target or right of the Hebron goalkeeper. Hebron’s back line did an exceptional job at keeping the strong Coppell forwards away from the goals and giving them no easy shots.

Still, the Cowboys managed a highly contested goal by sophomore forward Chris Madden to even out the game halfway through the second half.

This was followed shortly after by a Hebron goal after Connor Richmond managed a breakaway and chipped it up on a one on one with the keeper.

Coppell fought hard to come back in the final minutes of the game getting a goal that was quickly disallowed and getting many close shots that were just barely off target.

Coppell finishes the season as District 7-5A champions with an 22-2-2 record overall and a 10-1-2 record in district, its one loss coming at the hands of rival Southlake Carroll.

Many expected the Cowboys to make a deep playoff run this year with first-year coach Chad Rakestraw, but those hopes will have to wait until next season.

Coppell is graduating eight seniors this year but with Rakestraw’s coaching ability, dispayed throughout this year, he shouldn’t have much of a problem filling in the gaps left by the graduates.