Cowboys outlast hawks in double OT

By Nathan Reck
Assistant Sports Editor

The cowboys entered Buddy Echols field Friday to face the hawks looking to get back on track after suffering their first loss of the season to the Southlake Carroll dragons in their district opener. After four quarters of play though the cowboys had not reached their goal, needed two more periods to finally put the hawks away.

Neither team looked very good in a game that saw both teams surpass the hundred yard mark in penalties with Hebron drawing ten flags for 100 yards and Coppell drawing 11 flags for 123 yards. Both teams also had trouble holding onto the football with three fumbles each. Hebron lost two, while Coppell lost only one. Coppell’s game only continued to get worse as they snapped the ball out of the back of the endzone twice for safeties.

Regardless of how sloppy the game was both teams found a way to put 29 points on the board by the end of regulation sending the game into overtime. In the first overtime the cowboys defense held forcing the hawks to kick a field goal and opening the door for a game-winning touchdown. The hawks answered with a defensive stand of their own sending the game into double overtime after a Coppell field goal.

The second overtime saw the cowboys take the lead with a quick one-yard touchdown run by Hayden Hawk. A missed extra point, though, gave the hawks a chance. With an incompletion on fourth down the hawks watched their hopes of a win disappear and those cowboys’ fans that stayed until the end go crazy in the stands.

After two overtimes the final score was 38 to 32 in favor of the cowboys who evened their district record to 1-1.