Loss at Southlake inflicts multiple wounds for Coppell volleyball

By Andy Tabor

Photo by Tyler Morris
Photo by Tyler Morris

The Coppell Cowgirls lost in four games to Southlake Carroll last night in four games 28-30, 31-29, 20-25, and 25-18.  The bigger loss was Deirdre Pajares for the year after she suffered a torn acl in the middle of the second game.

Pajares is committed to New Mexico State and was regarded as some as the top player on the Cowgirl team.  The replacement for Pajares is senior Faith Avalos.

Faith has been a back up for Pajares this season and is ready to have her first chance to make a positive impact for the Cowgirls.

“I’m really saddened by the injury to Deirdre and know that no one can completely fill her shoes.” Avalos said. “That being said I am happy to be able to prove that I can play well and step up for the team.”

Although not getting as much playing time as Pajares, many teammates believe she can be affective in her new role.

“As much as we need Faith to step up big for us, we need everyone to come together.” Senior captain Taylor Meade said. “Even if this situation is very sad I think it will light a fire under us.”

With added momentum the Cowgirls could still play up to their potential and go far in the playoffs.  However, if they Cowgirls can’t get over this massive loss, then playoffs may be a stretch for this group.  Either way, the Cowgirls play Hebron in a pivotal district match Friday and home.

Gallery by Tyler Morris

1