Rakestraw steps up to Coppell standards

Coppell welcomes the new boys soccer coach Chad Rakestraw, wishing him a good year. Photo by Rachel Bush.

By Christina Burke

Soccer is one of the world’s most popular sports, and there is no doubt that the soccer program at Coppell High School carries on that legacy. Chad Rakestraw, Coppell’s new varsity boys soccer coach, loves the competitive side to the sport and everything about the game.

“I love the competition that is required, the skill that it required and the team atmosphere,” Rakestraw said.

Rakestraw is entering his sixth year of coaching. He previously worked at Denton Guyer for three years and Justin Northwest two years. Rakestraw knew the boys soccer program at Coppell has a great tradition and provides an opportunity to compete for the state championship.

Coppell ISD Athletics Director John Crawford is impressed with Rakestraw’s work and his extensive playing background. He believes Rakestraw will make Coppell a very special place to play soccer.

“(Rakestraw) came to us very highly recommended (from Northwest). He runs a disciplined program,” Crawford said. “The atmosphere and culture created by Rakestraw is attractive for participation.”

To date, Rakestraw describes his first few weeks at CHS “awesome.”

“It feels comfortable and welcome,” Rakestraw said. “Everyone makes you feel like you’ve been here for a while.”

Rakestraw thinks this soccer season should go well. With a good group of kids overall, he has seen a lot of leaders step out in these first couple of weeks and is excited for the turnout. He emphasizes

changes to the program will come as he continues to work with the boys.

Sophomore Corey Oesch highly respects Rakestraw’s leadership skills and love of soccer.

“(Rakestraw) expects the soccer players to be good examples for our peers, so grades and attitude are really important. He works us hard so that we can become better players,” Oesch said. “He is a very respectable and reasonable person to work with, and he loves the game and holds mutual respect with players.”

Rakestraw’s first season with the Cowboys begins in January.

“Every coach has their different way of doing things,” Rakestraw said. “My philosophy is to shape and mold our players into better young men in the classroom and on the field.”