Volleyball coach brings top experience to Coppell

By Christina Burke
With every up, down, kill and impressive dig, most students are aware of the winning volleyball program here at Coppell High School. What some people may not know is that the program recently got a new coach who has brought her experience and talent to the varsity program.Julie Green is the new Coppell varsity volleyball coach. Green is entering her 12th year of coaching where prior to Coppell, she coached at Lake Travis High School. Her hard work there recently paid off with a Class 4A state championship in 2010. Looking to move her family into the Metroplex, she quickly snatched the job at Coppell and started working with the Cowgirls.

Coppell welcomes the new volleyball coach Julie Green, hoping for the best during this years volleyball season. Photo by Rachel Bush.

“I knew that the schools (Coppell and Lake Travis) were similar in quality,” Green said. “They both have great traditions in athletics as well as academics.”

Coppell freshman coach Robyn DeArmond thinks highly of Green. DeArmond can tell that Green has great coaching qualities and is going to bring wonderful things to Coppell Volleyball with her fun, laid back style.

“She (Green) is very energetic, hard working, and motivated,” said DeArmond. “You can tell she loves what she does.”

Coming into a new program, Green is looking to mesh her own coaching ways with the girls’ personalities and meet them in the middle. So far the Cowgirls are off to a strong start and according to Green, the girls have great potential. They compete well, play hard, and set goals to take and execute from practice to the court.

Sophomore JV player Lindsay Stivers admires Green and is glad to have been given the opportunity to play for one of her teams.

“Like every coach, she has an intense side while she is coaching,” Stivers said. “She is really supportive of us all the time, she always picks us back up when were down, and always makes sure we are having fun. I love having a coach like that”.

Working with the CHS family is a very important part of one’s time spent here. So far, Green has been enjoying how well CHS works together.

“The kids are great. It’s great to see them excited to support one another,” Green said. “Volleyball is a smart game. It’s a game of strategy, momentum, and is exciting to watch.”