Carnival arrives in town

Carnival arrives in town

By Kara Adkins

Popular attractions such as a carousel and flying elephant ride were found at the St. Ann Carnival this year. Photo by Jodie Woodward

As summer time ends and fall begins, everybody is trying to soak up every last drop of those sunny, carefree days that will be missed so badly.

But as the third week of school draws to an, end and everybody is getting back into the routine of early mornings and loads of homework, there is one thing to look forward to: the St. Ann’s Carnival.

The carnival will be held on the church grounds from September 9 through the 11 and will have activities for the whole family to enjoy.

“The St. Ann’s carnival is our big fundraiser for the year, and it’s always so much fun. They have great games, rides and attractions,” senior Lauren Cruz said. “There’s snakes, there’s rock climbing, and all sorts of wonderful things. You name it, we have it.”

Over the years the carnival has evolved into a three day event in order to gather the community together for some great activities and to raise money for the church as well as our city. The process of planning and organizing the St. Ann’s carnival takes the entire year and requires 1,600 volunteers to help run it successfully. Senior Brindan Martin is a volunteer at the Carnival and loves every minute of it.

“I always look forward to the little kids getting excited about getting their faces painted,” Martin said. “They always like to get flowers or something and they always smile after you’re done, even if it’s a bad painting, they think it’s the best.”

With over 20,000 visitors each year, the St. Ann’s carnival has something for everybody. From the lemonade, to the crazy rides, it ensures a good time.

“I love the funnel cakes and the octopus ride,” junior Tatiana Gantt said. “I also like the Ferris wheel, I’ve never actually gone on it so I really want to this year.”