Elliot’s arm, hot bats lift Cowboys to 1-0 lead on Jaguars

Adam Bremner

With a second round loss looming from last year’s playoffs, this Cowboy bunch, which contains many of the same players from last season’s roster, was eager to start of this postseason on a positive note.

And Coppell did not disappoint as the team put together a 9-2 thrashing of this year’s first round foe in the Flower Mound Jaguars. The home affair with the Jags is the first of a three game series that continues Friday night.

The Cowboys’ potent offense, which has been punishing pitchers all year long, posted a modest nine runs on the board. With that mark, the offense extended its streak of at least seven runs in a game to seven straight games.  Shortstop Adam Toth added his seventh homerun for the season, which leads the team.

However, the hero tonight was Cowboys’ starter Jake Elliot and his ability to limit the Jags to two runs on five hits. The sophomore was able to be effective against a lineup that allotted eight runs on the Cowboys in early April during a game that the Jags eventually won.

On Friday night, the two cross town teams will matchup in Flower Mound for game two at 7:00 p.m.