Scenarios for District 7-5A baseball title

Peter Sblendorio
Sports Editor

With their win over Southlake Carroll last Friday, the Coppell Cowboys baseball team remains in a position to win the District 7-5A title.

At 10-2, Coppell sits one game behind the Dragons (11-1) for first place in the district. With district two games remaining, the Cowboys are in contention for the title, but they will need some help from other 7-5A teams if they are to jump to first.

First of all, the Cowboys will need to win at least one of their two remaining games, but it will most likely take victories in both games for them to remain in the hunt. Coppell plays Keller (7-5) tonight at home at 7:00 and Keller Central on the road (5-7) on Friday, April 29. Both games are winnable for the Cowboys, and Coppell defeated both teams earlier in the season in their first matchups.

For Coppell to make the jump to first, however, they will need Southlake Carroll to lose at least one of their final two games to force a tie atop 7-5A. The Dragons will host Saginaw, who is 0-12 in district and 0-15 overall, tonight, and will go to Denton to play Denton Guyer on April 29.

Coppell’s chances likely rest on Denton Guyer defeating the Dragons in the season finale, as Saginaw is yet to win a game this season. Should there be a tie first place, the Cowboys will play the Dragons in a one game playoff in order to crowd a winner of District 7-5A.