McDaniel, Okotcha taking their talents to South Bend

By Abby Drake

Photo By: Viviana Trevino

Rarely do high schools get the chance to send football players to Notre Dame, but Coppell High School is sending two.

Senior running back Cam McDaniel and senior cornerback Bennett Okotcha orally committed to play football for the Fighting Irish. Over 10 universities had their eye on McDaniel and Okotcha, but both decided that Notre Dame is the best school for their education, football and future.

“Throughout the recruiting process I went to camps and visited schools, just waiting for the right school to come along,” McDaniel said. “Notre Dame was right for me because when it comes to football everyone knows what the football program is all about and it’s a great school.”

Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly traveled to Coppell only a few days after his team’s big win against University of Southern California to meet with McDaniel and Okotcha. His professional look and personal demeanor made an impact on Okotcha and McDaniel.

“Coach Kelly had a spirit of excellence on him, which reminded me of Coach McBride,” McDaniel said.

Okotcha said he hopes to see playing time for the Irish as a freshman. In preparation, McDaniel will enroll in June to take summer school classes.

Both aim to play football professionally and Notre Dame has a history of sending players into the NFL.  However, if their football career does not take off the way they want it to, both have planned on studying business at Notre Dame.

“I have always aspired to play professionally and Notre Dame has put out a lot of NFL players,” said McDaniel.

Before the offer from Notre Dame came Okotcha was committed to play at the University of Wisconsin, but switched commitments as soon as the new offer was presented.

“I felt like I could get a better education [at Notre Dame] and I would have a better chance of playing with the NFL,” Okotcha said. “The school is prestigious, the football team in on a rise, and they have a great coaching staff,”

Although Okotcha and McDaniel are off to play for a team other than the Coppell Cowboys, their seasons at Coppell High School will not be forgotten.

“We will miss Bennett and Cam when they go to Notre Dame, they were a great part of our team,” junior kicker Nick Jordan said.

McDaniel and Okotcha have worked their whole lives to receive this reward and very soon the two boys will be in full experience of the traditions at the University of Notre Dame.

“They will do fantastic at Notre Dame, because they are both hardworking and driven boys,” Coach McBride said

1