Cowboys cap off perfect season, defeat Central, 41-7

Adam Bremner

Four touchdowns by running back Cam McDaniel in Coppell’s 41-7 victory over Keller Central confirmed historical significance for the Cowboy football program this season.

For the first time in school history, the Cowboys completed an undefeated season, with a 10-0 record, and gained an outright district championship. The Cowboys will enter the 2010 playoffs as a number one seed in the division I playoffs beginning next week.

As for tonight’s game, it was another blowout. Coppell’s defense posted a shutout in the first half and did not surrender any points until late in the third quarter. The offense, despite scoring 41 points, struggled in brief moments but was aided greatly by interceptions thrown by Central’s quarterback, Tanner Tausch.

The Cowboys got up early and never backed off, scoring 28 unanaswered points to begin the game. Obviously, McDaniel’s 136 yards rushing and 4 touchdowns led the team, but wide reciever Nate Hruby made a huge impact in the teams’ drives down the field, catching seven balls for 87 yards.

The Cowboys’ Playoffs, in Region I,  start next Saturday at 1:00 p.m. on their home field where they will face a District 8-5A opponent in Plano, who went 5-3 in district play.