Rangers trip to World Series special for grounds keeper, Hernandez

Chase Porter
Video by Courtney Echard and Susie Shahsavari

The first time in Rangers history since the beginning of the franchise in 1961 the team has finally done what was thought to be impossible and that is to reach the World Series.

The franchise, in 1961, when the team was originally named the Washington Senators never neither won a playoff game nor went to the post season. When the team moved to Arlington and were named the Texas Rangers their luck did not change until this season. For 21 years, Coppell assistant baseball coach Pat Hernandez has been a ground crew worker for the Rangers at Arlington Stadium and Rangers Ballpark and has seen all of the Rangers ups and downs.

Starting in 1989, Coach Hernandez has been a ground crew worker at the Arlington Stadium mainly repairing and building the pitcher’s mound before and after games. Hernandez was present at the building and opening of the Ballpark in Arlington and also cleaned and restored the mound for the current owner, Nolan Ryan.

Starting in 1989, some of Hernandez’s most memorable moments have been Nolan Ryan’s fight against Robin Ventura, Kenny Rodgers perfect game, the first playoff appearance in 1996 and being on the front cover of The Dallas Morning News at the opening of The Ballpark in Arlington.

Ryan, who joined the team in 1989, was one of the best pitchers at age 41 and in 1999 was inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame. During a game with the Chicago White Sox Ryan through a stray pitch hitting Robin Ventura cause a bench clearing brawl and making Ryan even more of a legend. In 1994, against the  Angels, Kenny Rodgers through a perfect game making him a Rangers pitching legend and making one of Hernandez’s most memorable top spots.

Also among Hernandez’s most memorable was when he was featured on the front page of The Dallas Morning News in a picture of him preparing the mound for the Rangers first game in the new stadium. Hernandez was also present when in 1996 the Rangers finally reached the post season for the first time in franchise history but unfortunately lost in the first round.

“I am happy for the long time Rangers fans that have been waiting for this moment!” exclaimed Hernandez.

Coach Hernandez is still working as a Rangers ground crew worker and will be preparing the mound for current Rangers pitchers as they face the San Francisco Giants in Arlington on Saturday.