Vivace! dessert show offers sweet treat for audiences

The Vivace Choir boys practice their dance routines before the desert show on November 19. They have practice during 4th period daily and after school on Thursdays.

Ashleigh Heaton
Editor-in-Chief

It is kind of like “Glee”, minus Sue Sylvester and plus a free dessert.

That’s right: the varsity Vivace! show choir will be presenting its annual dessert show on Nov. 19 and 20, promising a night of song, dance and entertainment for all.

The night will consist of 12 full ensemble numbers as well as several “filler” solo dance and song pieces for members to show of their individual talent. Viewers should expect to see a range of musical numbers, from Broadway show tunes to hit “Glee” songs such as “No Air” and “Jump”.

“I think Vivace! is such a fun group and we do a variety of different numbers from different shows,” senior Vivace! captain Nicole Bartley said. “That’s what makes it so fun, because it can appeal to everybody.”

And, as the name implies, free dessert will be offered during intermission, ranging from cake and pastries to brownies and cookies. The sweet treats are donated by choir parents and give the audience a welcome sugar rush halfway through the show.

A new addition to Vivace! this year has been Whitney Hennen, who replaced Tiffany Cassius as choreographer. Hennen, a 2005 University of North Texas alum and dance major, has been choreographing in the Coppell community for a few years, most notably her work with the First United Methodist Church of Coppell’s musical productions (The Music Man, Beauty and the Beast and last year’s West Side Story.)

Her inspiration? Making a fresh, fun show for all to enjoy.

“I want it to be fun, I want to challenge them and make each dance different,” Hennen said. “I have different inspirations for each song, because you don’t want to do the same old thing every song – that’s boring.”

Hennen has been implementing more difficult moves into each number, such as lifts and flips. Though the group has never had to tackle such difficult choreography, Hennen has been impressed by how well they are excelling.

“They’re doing good. We’re going a little bit fast, but it’s going really great and I think it’s a challenge they’re up for,” Hennen said.

On top of entertaining, the choir hopes to make a difference in the community by participating in a service-learning project. During each show, the choir will perform Michael Jackson’s “Man in the Mirror” and ask for donations that will be given to Taylor’s Gift, an organization dedicated toward spreading awareness and participation in organ donation.

“It’s all about changing the world and looking at ourselves and how we can make ourselves better,” Schulz said.

Even though roughly half of the choir is composed of new members, all are putting forth the dedication and talent needed to make a top-tier show and choir – and it’s showing.

“I think each person is so strong, there aren’t people with major weaknesses,” senior Vivace! captain Jessie Ross said. “In the past, we had strong dancing groups and strong singing groups in the choir, and this year we get to bring those two worlds together.”

Schulz has nothing but praise for his varsity choir.

“Honestly, this year is the most talented group [of Vivace! members] I have taught here yet,” Schulz said. “Vocally, they’re amazing, they pick up on things very quickly. We’ve raised the bar with choreography, bringing in a different choreographer and challenging them a little bit more. So far, they’re meeting the challenge. Everything’s moved up to the next level this year and we’re going to perform a finer show than anyone’s seen yet.”

Fans of show tunes and dance enthusiasts alike should plan their schedule accordingly if they want to get the most out of the experience – chances are their sweet tooth for performance might not be satisfied with just one show.

“You better come on Friday, because you’ll want to come on Saturday night as well, and you’ll regret it if you don’t,” Schulz said.

Performance dates are Nov. 19 and 20 at 7 p.m. in the Coppell High School Auditorium. Tickets are $5 each. Free dessert offered at intermission.