• Have a great summer, Coppell! Publishing resumes Aug. 14

North Texas Teen Book festival lights up reading world

Author Sarah Mlynowski signs a book for attendees of North Texas Teen book festival. The festival brings readers and authors together and was held at the Irving Convention Center on April 27. (Noor Fatima)

IRVING – The atmosphere is boisterous from the beginning at the North Texas Teen Book Festival as avid readers and writers stand outside the Irving Convention Center, waiting for the festivities to begin.

The festival holds a variety of events for both teens and authors, which can provide inspiration to aspiring authors and give readers a way to connect to their favorite authors by giving them a chance to ask them questions directly.

Having gone for six years, both as an unpublished and published author, Plano-based author Lyla Lee admires how “inspiring it was to be in a place with so many passionate writers and readers, even if you are not either” via email.

The event featured book give-aways, author signings and speed dating. And if you find yourself unable to grab a copy of your book of interest through the give-aways or speed dating, you can head over to the book store if you still wish to own a copy.

In addition, an educator day is held the day before for librarians and other school staff to learn about their student’s current literary world.

Joe VanWagner, a seven-year volunteer, said the educator day is beneficial for him as an  English teacher at Allen High School.

“I like to keep my eye out for what a lot of kids are reading,” VanWagner said. “I try to find out what new books may interest my students, and to keep my ear on the pulse of what’s new out there.”

From something as simple as chatting with those standing in line with you, waiting for an advance reader copy of a book that catches your eye, the Q&A sessions with authors of all kinds during panels or the author signing lines where readers can have a few moments to chat one on one with their favorite author, the festival brings people together, unified by their love of literature and stories.

If you’re looking for a place to meet other readers, writers or just feel a need for inspiration, consider going to the North Texas Teen Book Festival when it returns March. 1 2025.

Follow @CHSCampusNews on X.