Damsel: Elodie alluring audiences in Netflix movie

Sofia Exposito
Netflix’s Damsel incorporates dark fantasy and terror in the film starring Millie Bobby Brown. The Sidekick staff writer Katie Park shares her thoughts on the unique plot. Graphic by Sofia Exposito.

Netflix’s new film, Damsel, incorporates a dark fantasy with twists and turns in each path within a cave, guarded by a fire breathing dragon.   

The movie released March 8, starring Millie Bobby Brown as Elodie, the main character and the daughter of Lord Bayford, played by Ron Windstone. She receives a proposal from Queen Isabelle of Aurea to marry her son, Prince Henry, and in return, her people will gain economic support to improve their lives.

After Elodie weds Prince Henry, she is unexpectedly faced with peril as her new husband throws her into a dark pit. She soon realizes that she is a sacrifice, stranded in a dragon’s lair. 

Although her situation seems hopeless, Elodie is determined to escape. She must challenge herself into becoming someone she never expected, brave and daring in the face of a massive killer beast.

Acting as Elodie, Brown portrays her character perfectly, incorporating every detail and trait to represent the terrified, but bold girl trapped in a cave. 

The special effects give way to realism as the animated dragon portrays life-like qualities, created by extraordinary producers that seamlessly portray the demonic character of the giant beast. Different lighting and colors are also incorporated to further enhance the film by providing contrast in different scenes. 

“It’s this really cool moment to see that even the smallest girl actually fought against the biggest dragon,” Brown said in an interview with Vogue. “Her fear doesn’t overcome her, and in fact, she’s braver than she thinks.” 

Brown is an executive producer as well as an actor in the film. She and her team formulated a storyline intriguing to the audience that unfolds the dark fantasy.

The film successfully illustrates an unique plot as it fixates on an independent young girl who must save herself rather than a helpless girl in need of a rescuer. This alteration in stereotyping is intriguing as it is perceived as an uncommon but fascinating theme. She is able to portray a distinctive character as she solely depends on herself to survive.

The setting inside of the cave incorporates the feeling of terror and dread that provides the atmosphere of the movie. The actors’ ability to perfectly impersonate their character gives the audience an illusion of witnessing the emotions themselves. 

The costumes and makeup also give the element of fear as Elodie’s outfits are stained with blood and the wounds on her body make the movie more realistic. The wounds created by talented makeup artists highlight the features of a real wound, incorporating the highlights and shadows to illude the viewers. 

Damsel is a movie targeted towards audiences who enjoy climatic terror as well as fantasy and tragedy. The dark adventure Elodie endures is truly satisfying.

Follow @katiegpark and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter