Lacrosse prepares for home district opener against Jesuit

Ava Johnson
Coppell sophomore Ian Nichols makes a save against Lovejoy on Feb. 29. The Coppell boys lacrosse team hosts Dallas Jesuit at 7:30 p.m. at Lesley Field in its first district home game of the season.

Tonight the Coppell boys lacrosse team (1-4 overall, 0-1 in Class A District) hosts Dallas Jesuit (3-2) at Lesley Field at 7:30 p.m.

Returning from spring break, Coppell coach Matt Mueller is reconditioning the team to maximize its strengths during the game.

“We have prepared this week and the kids are getting their cardio back up to where it was before spring break,” Mueller said. “We are working on doing a few different things defensively, hopefully keeping them off balance and keeping them guessing, taking away their strengths. Offensively, we’ve got some things that we will try that are new for us and something Jesuit hasn’t seen on film yet.”

The Cowboys emphasize consistency to avoid mistakes. 

“When we play consistent four quarters, we have the opportunity to beat anybody,” Mueller said. “We have a very tough schedule, I would argue that we play the toughest division in the state at the Class A level, so if you are not playing consistently and making mistakes, the teams we play against will make us pay for our mistakes.”

The Cowboys game plan includes keeping up with Jesuit junior midfield Caleb Caldwell. 

“They have a very good faceoff player,” Mueller said. “We will try a couple of different things to throw him off his rhythm.”

Mueller hopes the team maintains confidence to advance to playoffs.

“Jesuit, historically, is a powerhouse program,” Mueller said. “We don’t want our players to play with any fear and not be afraid of the name of the jersey. We want to play the game, not the name, and just go out mentally and physically, be good teammates and win or lose. We’re going to learn from it and be prepared once we get to the playoffs.”

Follow @SidekickSports on X.