Quartet of lacrosse players eye separate collegiate paths

By Abby Drake

Photo Credit: John Lucas

The Coppell Lacrosse team has bred a bevy of strong athletes over the years. Four young men in particular have been recognized by their talents and have been recruited by different universities.

Seniors Tyler Landis, Brandon Mullins, Nate Hruby and Alec Lucas have all been scouted and chosen to play lacrosse in college.  Each university is known for their high level of academics and promising lacrosse team.

Landis will be attending Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island next fall. Landis had offers from both Drexel University and Stony Brook University; however Brown was who he wanted to play for.

“The recruiting process was a long and anxious process and Brown was my top choice,” Landis Said “I am excited for the education and a chance to play for a top 15 school.”

Brown university is not an easy school to get admitted to due to the academic requirements.  Fortunately for Landis the high standards were slightly lowered for him; he was expected to obtain a 27 on his ACT and post a 3.6 GPA.

Landis’ hard work both on the field and in the classroom has given him the opportunity to attend the school of his dreams and play for an excellent lacrosse team.

Mullins is one of Coppell’s most athletic individuals and Syracuse University was quick to notice. Throughout summer tournaments and the regular lacrosse season, representatives from the university would watch Mullins on the field and they knew that he was right for their team.

Mullins did consider other schools such as University of North Carolina and Penn State, but Syracuse was the better fit for him both academically and athletically.

“I am very excited [to attend Syracuse University], they have a great Lacrosse team and a good school,” Mullins said.

At Syracuse the Lacrosse team is expected to have a certain combined GPA in order to get funding from the school. Mullins’ current grades fit nicely into the rage of the rest of the team, so there was little stress for him to reach a certain academic requirement.

Although he will be far from home, Mullins will be treated like family since the lacrosse players at Syracuse University are taken care of with apartment housing. That said Mullins is anxious for the opportunity.

“I am kind of nervous since it will be so different, but I am just going to have to adjust and have fun,” Mullins said.

Lucas is another Coppell athlete that is heading toward the northeast next year to play lacrosse. Stony Brook on Long Island in New York has recruited him to play on their Division I team.

Stony Brook has an outstanding lacrosse team and had a very successful season last year by finishing with a top 10 rank, making it a very desirable school to play for.

“I am very thrilled to go to Stony Brook, I want to play in the north east since it is the hot bed of lacrosse,” Lucas said.

Fortunately for Lucas his grades met all standards of Stony Brook and did not have to work extra hard to get into his school of choice.

Stony Brook has presented Lucas with a chance that will create a lasting college experience for the rest of his life.

Hruby, unlike the rest of the Coppell lacrosse players, is continuing his lacrosse season in the central region of the United States, as he has committed to play at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo.

“Colorado is one of my favorite states right now and I am very excited,” Hruby said.

Unlike typical universities, the Air Force Academy provided free education, but the students are required to perform five years of active service and three years of reserve. Despite these added duties, Hruby is quite eager to get his college career started.

Getting into the Air Force Academy took much more than good grades and impressive lacrosse skills for Hruby.  In order to get accepted he had to be nominated by a local person of power.

The lacrosse team that the Air Force Academy holds is quite impressive and it plays Division I. Any young athlete would be very eager to play on such a talented team.

All four boys are on their way to expand their lacrosse lives in the places with the most opportunity.  There is no doubt that the boys will fulfill all of their dreams in the next four years.

2