Cowboys polish off nondistrict with win against Hornets

Coppell+junior+defender+Chris+Diaz+and+Azle+senior+midfielder+Daniel+Carlston+both+attempt+to+secure+possession+of+the+ball+at+Buddy+Echols+Field+on+Friday.+Coppell+won+against+Azle%2C+4-0.+
Kayla Nguyen
Coppell junior defender Chris Diaz and Azle senior midfielder Daniel Carlston both attempt to secure possession of the ball at Buddy Echols Field on Friday. Coppell won against Azle, 4-0.

With 28 minutes and 33 seconds left in the second half, the Coppell boys soccer team erupts with energy. Coppell junior midfielder Caden Naef’s swift shot flies just out of reach of Azle junior goalkeeper Evan Calvert, securing the Cowboys’ second goal of the night. 

Soon after, with 27:47 remaining and fueled by the momentum from his previous triumph, Naef strikes once more and scores again – less than a minute after his first. 

On Friday night, the Cowboys (4-1-3 overall) defeated Azle (4-4), 4-0, at Buddy Echols Field in the season’s final nondistrict match. The match was met fiercely by Coppell’s burning desire to set itself up for a successful District 6-6A season. 

Coppell junior forward Luis Mendez heated up the pitch with the first goal of the match to the Cowboys a 1-0 halftime.

Coppell’s offensive strategy throughout the second half set the tone for the remainder of the match.

“With three forwards, we helped create some opportunities.” Coppell assistant Kyle Kelson said. “The chances we created and the attack from our forwards was great.”

The Cowboys embraced a team mentality through the second half, showing success in their ability to effectively connect passes and move the ball up the field. 

Coppell’s offense wasn’t the only notable aspect of their match, however, the Cowboys’ solid defense held the team’s unwavering lead. A clean sheet on Coppell’s end throughout the game was a testament to their effective defensive measures.

With six minutes remaining, Coppell sophomore defender Mohammed Oudraogo finished off the match with a fourth goal and his first since joining varsity. 

“It was a great result, the weather wasn’t the best but the guys came out and showed what they could do,” Kelson said. “It’s going to be great momentum for next week with the start of districts.”

The Cowboys host Plano West (5-1-1) today at Buddy Echols Field at 7:30 p.m. for their first district game. 

Follow Kayla Nguyen (@kaylagnguyen) and @SidekickSports on X.