Rangers’ franchise history relies on the arm of Cliff Lee

By Adam Bremner

The Texas Rangers left Tampa, St. Pete last week with spirits high, grasping a 2-0 lead heading back to Arlington where the series was expected to reach its conclusion.

Nothing could have been farther from the truth as the Rangers, who once looked to be in complete control, are now back on their heels and are facing a win or go home rubber-match with historic implications.

This past weekend’s 2-game set was an absolute opposite occurrence of the opening games at Tampa Bay. The Rays had timely hitting and quality pitching while the Rangers experienced struggles hitting with runners were in scoring position, for instance, Vladimir Guerrero’s strikeout with the bases loaded in Sunday’s game. Overall, the Rangers were only outscored 11-5 but the key theme of the past two games has been the inability to take advantage of opportunities.

Tonight, the pitching match is a replay of game one as aces Cliff Lee and David Price take the mound again. Hopefully for the Rangers, the game is simply a re-run as they were victorious last Wednesday 6-1.

Lee will attempt to reproduce his 1.29 ERA against this Rays lineup that has suddenly caught fire and will be in the comfort of their home stadium. Regardless, if this game stays on the same pattern, it will be who takes advantage of the opposing miscues that will be successful and move onto the ALCS.

For the Rangers organization, this game is not simply a game, it’s a statement. The win would solidify the club’s first postseason advancement since its inception in 1961, erasing the team’s label as the only MLB team without a series victory.

The Rangers fans have gone through excitement, assurance and apprehension this week. Now, they deserve the sensation of victory.