From courts to cross country, Sherrer races through the finish line

Coppell junior cross country runner Mallory Sherrer prepares for early morning practice on Oct 20. Sherrer holds the title of being the fastest girls’ cross-country runner for the 2023 season at Coppell High School, along with having several other high stats recorded. (Maddy Park)

The rhythmic sound of running shoes hitting the ground, the cool breeze in the early morning, and the competitive spirit in the air—these are the elements that make up the world of high school cross country. 

In the heart of this athletic universe, you’ll find CHS junior Mallory Sherrer, not just competing but soaring past her competition. 

Prior to finding her calling in cross country, Sherrer explored various sports including volleyball, basketball, and track. Her passion for running began in the sixth grade at Coppell Middle School North, and five years later, she became one of the fastest girls cross-country runners at CHS.

Sherrer’s achievements include an 800-meter run in just 2 minutes and 19 seconds, a 1,600-meter run in 5 minutes and 14 seconds, a 3,200m run in 11 minutes and 31 seconds, and a 5K run in 18 minutes and 51 seconds. These times translate to an average of about five minutes per mile, leaving her competitors in the dust.

Sherrer’s journey is not just about talent or being naturally gifted as a fast runner; it is about the unwavering amount of hard work she puts into the sport. 

Coppell junior cross country runner Mallory Sherrer is a standout runner on the cross country team, helping lead her team to a successful district season. Sherrer holds the title of being the fastest girls’ cross-country runner for the 2023 season at Coppell High School, along with having several other high stats recorded. (Maddy Park)

“I’ve been coaching Mallory for the past three years now, but the commitment and passion I’m able to see in her specifically this year has been unmatched,” cross country coach Landon Wren said. “The most remarkable quality I’ve seen in Mallory is that she completes each workout with the purpose of getting better. It takes a great deal of passion for teenagers to want to get up early and run what seems like an endless number of miles every day.”

Cross country at CHS is a year-round pursuit with training that never stops, even on holidays. The preparation for district meets intensifies in May, with practice sessions six days a week, starting at 7 a.m. However, Sherrer’s commitment goes beyond the track as she puts her all into balancing her academic responsibilities. 

“What you learn in cross country easily carries over into the classroom, and vice versa,” Wren said. “Grades are never an issue with Mallory because she always takes care of business in the classroom. She is what we consider an unofficial captain on the girls’ team because she cares about everyone’s racing strategies, steps up and asks everyone about their nutrition, and helps out a lot with warm-ups and cooling down stretches.”

Sherrer’s commitment recently paid off when she earned a spot in the top 10 runners among a fierce competition of 50 girls at the District  6-6A Meet at North Lake Park in Denton on Friday, October 13. 

To prepare for the Class 6A Region I Meet on Tuesday, October 24, Sherrer remains steadfast in her preparation. She understands the importance of consistency in her training and effort. Wanting to place at the regional meet, she firmly believes that these will be her key allies in improving her times and securing her best performance.

Coppell junior cross country runner Mallory Sherrer is a standout runner on the cross country team, helping lead her team to a successful district season. Sherrer holds the title of being the fastest girls’ cross country runner for the 2023 season at Coppell High School, along with having several other high stats recorded. (Maddy Park)

“The fact that Mallory is one of the team’s best runners never gets in the way of her encouraging and optimistic attitude, because she never lets her high times and awards boost her ego,” freshman runner Maya Easterwood said. “Mallory is someone who will hold everyone accountable for completing their workouts, but she will also push herself to her maximum potential in the workout room. She is someone who will remain calm and handle friendly competition very positively.”

Sherrer is not just spending her time running daily; she’s sprinting toward a bright future. With Sherrer having high hopes of being on the track and cross country team at her future college, her goals include becoming a student-athlete at the University of Colorado, in Colorado Springs, or Wake Forest University.

“While I’m always nervous about competing with other highly qualified runners in such tough courses, I hope that all of my practice ends up paying off, and I know that if I do my best, my times will reflect that,” Sherrer said. “The good part about cross country is that you are fully in control of your results because your times are a testament to how much hard work you put in. I’ve learned that if you push yourself to your highest potential when competing,  your efforts will pay off.”

Follow Rhea Choudhary (@rhea_choud) and @SidekickSports on X