Kumar takes stage at Carnegie Hall

CHS9+student+Sahana+Kumar+performed+with+the+Middle+School+Honors+Performance+Series+at+Carnegie+Hall+in+New+York+over+the+summer.+Kumar+excels+in+the+fine+arts%2C+being+a+member+of+Lone+Star+Youth+Orchestra%2C+participating+in+Coppell+High+School+Theater+and+singing+Western+and+Indian+classical+music.+
Vibha Viswanath
CHS9 student Sahana Kumar performed with the Middle School Honors Performance Series at Carnegie Hall in New York over the summer. Kumar excels in the fine arts, being a member of Lone Star Youth Orchestra, participating in Coppell High School Theater and singing Western and Indian classical music.

Sitting on the hallowed stage of Carnegie Hall on a momentous summer evening, CHS9 student Sahana Kumar enchants the audience, her melodic notes flowing on her violin.

Kumar played first violin for the Middle School Honors Performance Series at Carnegie Hall in New York this summer. The Honors Performance Series is a highly selective program, showcasing the most talented middle school musicians around the world. 

“I was really impressed,” Lone Star Youth Orchestra trumpeter Kendal Thiele said. “I knew she was good at the violin but I think it is really amazing for her to achieve that.”

Hearing about the program from her cousin who had participated, Kumar auditioned as well being one of the 10,000 people aiming to grasp this opportunity. Students sent in a recording of a musical piece and answered questions to be selected by the Series’ expert Board of Music Professionals.

“We are very proud of Sahana for her achievement,” Lone Star Youth orchestra manager Robert Fishman said. “It’s quite an honor.”

The performance was June 17 at Carnegie Hall, home to the world’s finest musicians. Kumar was joined by her parents and grandparents to watch her big moment. 

“I was very happy for her,” Kumar’s mother Nithya Ayer said. “She had a great experience playing with so many passionate musicians in the great hall.”

CHS9 freshman Sahana Kumar performs with other violinists at Carnegie Hall, NY on June 17. Kumar excels in the fine arts, being a member of Lone Star Youth Orchestra, participating in Coppell High School Theater and singing Western and Indian classical music. Photo courtesy Sahana Kumar.

In the lead up to the long awaited performance, Kumar rigorously rehearsed under the guidance of master conductors along with a whole ensemble of performers. Embracing the opportunity to collaborate with like-minded musicians, she found joy in the challenge of playing on this prestigious stage. In between her intense rehearsals, Kumar experienced the heart of New York City by visiting the colorful and bustling Times Square and enjoying the magic of a Broadway show. 

“It was pretty tiring because we had to rehearse the same four songs all day,” Kumar said. “We would get to bed really late and have to wake up at like 6 am, but it was still fun.”

Initially, Kumar felt more pressure being at Carnegie Hall than actually performing, however her nerves vanished as she made new friends, a few she continues to keep in contact with.

“It was really amazing to meet so many talented musicians who were my age,” Kumar said. “The hall was really big and playing was unforgettable.” 

From Carnegie Hall’s legendary history to its stunning acoustics and architecture, performing left an indelible memory that Kumar will never forget.  

“I can’t believe that I got to play on the same stage that some of the world’s greatest musicians have performed on,” Kumar said. 

Kumar’s remarkable achievement is not just a stroke of luck. Being a violinist for five years, Kumar is also a third year member of the Lone Star Youth Orchestra. Practicing for almost two hours every day and competing in concert competitions, Kumar excels in orchestra. Aside from playing the violin, Kumar sings both Western Vocal and Indian Classical music. Her musical talent shines through, being the CHS9 theater liaison and performing as a finalist for Irving’s Got Talent this year. 

“I would describe my daughter as hard working, focused and someone who knows exactly what she wants,” Ayer said. “She is always happy to be playing music.”

Kumar’s musical journey doesn’t end here. Next year, she plans to try out for the All State Orchestra and once again participate in the Honors Performance Series at the Sydney Opera House as a high schooler.

Follow @CHSCampusNews on X.