Starting strong: Pericharla as only freshman advancing to ICDC

CHS9 student Anjana Pericharla is an International Career Development Conference DECA qualifier and was awarded a medal for advancing to finals at the Texas State Development Career Conference on Feb. 17 in Houston. Pericharla is the only Coppell freshman to advance to the highest level of competition.
Safiya Azam

On Feb. 16, CHS9 qualifier Anjana Pericharla did not expect to be one of the 21 names on the list of the DECA International Career Development Conference qualifiers.

“I was really confused at first because our teacher [CHS9 DECA advisor David Janeski] told us that only one or two people made it last year,” Pericharla said. “So I thought I probably would not make it.”

Pericharla worked hard to prepare for her event at the Texas State Development Career Conference on Feb. 17 in Houston, which was Principles of Finance by taking many practice tests and working during Hour Block Lunch and her business classes.

“One of the main things that I did was watch videos on YouTube to see what other people had to say about preparing for the competition and how they were able to be successful,” Pericharla said. “If they were doing those and it worked for them, then it obviously works.”

Pericharla will represent the CHS9 DECA chapter at ICDC on April 27-30 in Anaheim, Calif.

As a first-time DECA competitor, Pericharla enjoyed the new independence that the experience offered.

“It was such a unique experience, especially being a freshman, because all the things in middle school are on such a small scale,” Pericharla said. “We are allowed to do things for ourselves and choose what we want to do. It has been a way for me to experience more of the world around me because I just got to meet so many different people, which was such an eye opening experience.”

Pericharla’s initial plan was to go down the medical route, but later decided to join the business pathway and be a part of DECA instead.

“I was talking to a lot of people who were in DECA the year before,” Pericharla said. “They were showing me pictures and videos, and I thought that looked like such a wonderful experience and that I would love to be a part of it. DECA has been a way for me to show other people that I know what I am doing.” 

Pericharla’s love for public speaking contributed to her decision to be a part of DECA.

“Public speaking has been something I have always enjoyed,” Pericharla said. “Last year, I was in the Youth and Government program at Coppell Middle School West which I really enjoyed. Knowing that DECA was also a public speaking event, it was definitely something that I was looking forward to.”

Pericharla displays her public speaking skills outside of competition as well.

“She is very confident,” DECA freshman member Charvi Vohra said. “Even if she has to improvise on the spot, whatever she says is very orderly and makes sense.”

This helped Pericharla during her event at the Texas State Development Career Conference.

“She knows exactly how to answer the questions that the teacher presents to her, and if she is ever confused by anything she also asks the right questions,” Janeski said. “She has a very positive outlook in her personality.”

Follow @_ishana_sharma and @CHSCampusNews on X.

1