Bringing spirit to success

Gauntt cheering on fellow teammates
Ava Johnson
Coppell freshman Anna Grace Gauntt practices at CHS Small Gym on March 1. Gauntt is the CHS9 cheer captain and leads through a positive mindset.

CHS9 student Anna Grace Gauntt lives many different lives,  whether it’s in the Coppell High School Small Gym in fourth/eighth period, or on the sidelines of a Cowboys football game. 

With her pom-poms clutched in her hands and a bright smile on her face, Gauntt lives and breathes cheer in those moments.

“When you’re practicing or performing, you don’t feel the weight of everything else on your mind,” Gauntt said. “You can just leave all of your problems at the gym door.”

Gauntt has been involved in cheer since she was 7, making her start with Christian Cheerleaders of America, where she learned the fundamentals of dance and cheerleading.

“We were all little and the coaches were telling us every little step to do,” Gauntt said. “Once we got to high school, we could actually do our jobs as cheerleaders.”

It was not until Coppell Middle School North that Gauntt would reach her fullest potential in cheerleading. Her everlasting work ethic and positive mindset culminated in her mastering the depiction of school spirit and earning the title of CHS9 cheer captain. 

As a captain, Gauntt prioritizes positive reinforcement and likes to build relationships with her fellow cheerleaders. Her optimistic disposition energizes her teammates and motivates them to succeed. 

“She never has a bad attitude,” CHS9 spirit leader Sutton Rasmussen said. “She’s really good at keeping a good environment for the freshman team and helping us all realize that there is a bright side to everything.”

Gauntt thinks organization is the key to success for her team. By staying on task and making sure everyone is on the same page, she stays confident they will succeed. 

“It’s all in the mindset,” Gauntt said. “If you think you can’t do it, then it won’t come out how you like it.”

In addition to her positive attitude, Gauntt cites the support of her teammates, and thinks their challenges have strengthened their bond. 

“We’ve faced a lot of ups and downs, but we’ve faced them together,” Gauntt said. “I think facing everything together has really helped us communicate better and improve.”

Gauntt looks up to her upperclassmen and takes their advice on how to improve herself. She takes feedback into consideration, constantly practicing until she succeeds.

CHS junior Hannah Wells thinks Gauntt applies herself to the best of her ability, and trusts her to always perform to her fullest potential. 

“Anna Grace works extremely hard not only in practice, but also outside of practice,” Wells said. “She is always eager to do her best even when we are just practicing.”

Although navigating the first year of high school while balancing cheer can be cumbersome, Gauntt has been able to fit both into her schedule with ease. By utilizing her time to the best of her capability, she is able to excel in both cheer and school, while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. 

“It was difficult with after school practice and tons of homework, but I try to use my spare time to my advantage,” Gauntt said. “I use all of the little time in my day to get something done, and if it helps even a little bit, it still helps me tackle my workload.”

This mindset applies out of cheer as well. Outside of school, Gauntt spends her time volunteering at St. Ann Catholic Parish. In her church, she regularly volunteers with kids and enjoys spending time with them. 

“Sometimes kids can really test your boundaries, so I try and remember that I was a kid once, and just try to see where they are coming from,” Gauntt said.

Through high school, Gauntt aims to remain a role model for incoming underclassmen, motivating them with a smile and her trademark positivity. She believes the best way for new cheerleaders to get better at anything is to trust in your peers and believe that you can do it.

“Just remember that you are still learning,” Gauntt said. “Don’t expect everything to go your way and take the feedback you’re given with a positive attitude.”

Follow @anvita_bondada and @CHSCampusNews on X.