Cross country races to halfway mark of season

Coppell High School seniors Henry Henze and Samarth Dubey run during cross country morning practice at Buddy Echols Field. The CHS cross country team competes weekly in meets around Texas, having done three meets so far during the 2023-24 season.
Sidekick file

Saturday’s cross country meet at the Steve Telaneus Invitational in Northlake Park in Denton marked the third meet of the season. With the varsity being split into two for both boys and girls, Coppell had seven total teams running.

The top seven runners in last week’s meet were in this week’s elite varsity team, while the next ten runners ran in the open. Both boys varsity teams placed third in their event and girls open and elite varsity placed 15th and 21th, respectively. 

“We ran very well,” Coppell  cross country coach Landon Wren said. “We were able to face a lot of distinct opponents there and did better against them,” 

Midway through the nondistrict season, all runners push themselves in training, using this meet to measure their growth. Envisioning the finish line at district, this meet allowed runners to hit personal records and learn their strengths and weaknesses.

“I need to improve on trusting myself; I should be starting out fast and trusting the training I’ve put in to push me to the finish,” junior Mallory Sherrer said. “As a team, we’ve excelled in encouraging each other every meet. Not only are each of us racing, we are also there cheering on our teammates to help them get through their race.”

The cross country team continues to exercise personal growth and learn from their performance in this meet. Keeping the upcoming meet in mind, they exercise routine and collaboration. 

“The biggest thing we need to work on is showing up everyday and doing the workout to the best of our ability,” Wren said. “We need to make sure that we are focusing on the workout on the day ahead of us instead of the future.”  

The teams run tomorrow at the Northwest Invitational in Justin. .

“The course this week will be a tough one and I’m excited to see how our kids do,” Coppell assistant Jacob Garrison said.

Follow Aliza(@alizabidi) and @SidekickSports on X.