Minden embraces role as staring quarterback, leader

Quarterback Joe Minden has taken the starting Coppell job by storm.

By Peter Sblendorio

Sports Editor

Coppell senior quarterback Joe Minden is the type of player that allows his work on the football field speak for itself.

Serving last season as the back-up quarterback, Minden rarely saw the field on Friday nights.  According to senior running back Cam McDaniel, Minden demonstrated an impressive work ethic, practicing as hard as any other player throughout the season and being as prepared for each game as any of the Cowboy starters despite his unglamorous role.

Moving into the starting role in 2010, Minden has embraced the opportunity to be the head of the offense.

“It’s an honor to be able to lead my team,” Minden said. “There’s a lot to prepare for each week, and it feels good to help the team win.”

This work ethic and preparation, in addition to above average size of 6-3, 195 pounds and natural talent at the position, are what  gave Coppell head football coach Joe McBride confidence in naming Minden as the head of his offense in 2010 and one of the four team captains. Following a promising spring and offseason, in which Minden emerged as a clear leader for the Cowboy offense, McBride is confident in what his new quarterback can do.

“Joe is a real humble guy,” McBride said. “He is respected by the players, and his demeanor is really coach like and serious. So it is easy to feel good about his role as our quarterback and as a leader for our team.”

In addition to these intangibles, Minden brings athleticism to the position. He possesses a strong throwing arm and consistent accuracy, completing 58 passes through two games. This bodes well for the Coppell spread offense, as Minden will be able to show off his arm by making a number of throws over the middle of the field as well as deep down the sidelines.

Minden kicked off his career as a starter with an impressive debut against Mesquite Horn in the 2010 season opening game. Completing 14 of 22 passes, the Coppell quarterback passed for 140 yards and did not turn the ball over in a 13-0 Cowboys victory. He followed that up with an even better performance against Arlington in his second start, passing for 229 yards and three touchdowns without an interception.

Minden projects to remain successful in the Coppell offensive system through the season, although it is difficult to avoid questions on how well he will be able to replace  last year’s standout quarterback, Hayden Hawk. Hawk earned the Offensive Most Valuable Player award for District 6-5A following a dynamic season in which he threw for 3,408 yards and 29 touchdowns.

Despite this, the Cowboys are not counting on Minden to replicate Hawk’s season. Rather, the Coppell coaching staff is confident that their new quarterback will be able to develop into an effective player on his own and be one of the key cogs on the potentially high powered Cowboy offense.

“[The coaches] don’t really talk much about replacing Hayden,” Minden said. They have shown that they are confident in what I can do. I just need to play to the best of my ability and be a leader for the team.”

Minden spent the majority of his summer preparing for the 2010 season, attending daily workouts at the Velocity camp at Coppell High School and dedicating two weeks in August to two-a-day football practices. The new Coppell pass thrower also was able to build stronger relationships with his receivers, as he quarterbacked the Coppell 7-on-7 team to the quarterfinals of state tournament.

The quarterback’s devotion to the team has been evident not only to the coaches but to the players as well, as they have been impressed by his work ethic and drive.

“Joe has invested a lot into this program the last four years,” senior running back Cam McDaniel, who serves as a captain alongside Minden, said. “He has worked as hard, if not harder, as anyone on this team. He has proven himself to be a worthy leader for our offense this year.”

Despite having a new quarterback at the head of the Coppell offensive, the McBride’s offensive system will be very similar to that of last years. Minden believes that the biggest changes during the season will be through the offense making adjustments and improving from week to week.

“[The offensive system] is going to be the same,” Minden said. “We are trying to be more balanced with passing and rushing. We have to learn from our mistakes [each game] to be a more well-rounded and dangerous offense.”

The Cowboys have showed the versatility the offense this season with big performances both running and passing the ball. Coppell knows that Minden will need to be a key piece to the puzzle if they are to win games, and they are confident that their new quarterback is up to the challenge. 

1