Virtual learning option expires at the nine week mark

Anjali Vishwanath

All Coppell ISD kindergarten through sixth grade students will return to in-person learning on Oct. 7 for the second nine weeks of the 2021-22 school year. At this time, CISD does not plan to offer temporary virtual learning to any grade level for the remainder of the school year.

Anjali Vishwanath, Daily News/Assignment Editor

A Monday announcement from Superintendent Dr. Brad Hunt alerted Coppell ISD families that the virtual learning option for pre-K through sixth grade students will not extend past its original end date of Oct. 7, which was announced in August.

“I firmly believe that in-person instruction is the best way for our district to address the unfinished learning and learning loss that has occurred during the pandemic,” Hunt wrote in an email to CISD parents. “It is essential for the district to bring all of our students back to be able to meet the wide variety of needs and support everyone to the best of our ability.”

According to CISD director of communications Amanda Simpson, the concern over learning loss stems not from a drop in grades, but in students’ understanding of curriculum content.

“While we have learned many ways to support our students virtually, our best instruction is the instruction that can happen day-to-day in the classroom, where we can model for learners, provide hands-on experiences, allow for collaboration activities and provide intense intervention and enrichment opportunities based on each specific learner’s needs,” said Hunt in the email message.

Follow Anjali (@anjuvishwaanth) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter for more.