Spring game brings taste of what is to come

by Blake Seitz

Sports Editor

Last season, the Cowboys advanced to the third round of playoffs before losing to Arlington in a 31-29 heartbreaker. Still smarting from the loss, the Cowboys hope to capitalize on its returning talent to make an even further playoff push this season.

Yesterday, the team had its annual spring game to showcase its progress before the season. The first squad offense played against the first squad defense, and the second squad offense played against the second squad defense.

The purpose of the spring game is to give fans a glimpse of the team’s new talent. While not as strongly attended as regular season Coppell games, there was still a sizeable crowd by the time the game got underway.

Many were there to see Coppell’s new quarterback, junior Joe Minden, who got little playing time last season. His presence—or lack thereof—on the field will dictate Coppell’s play in the regular season.

So far, it seems Minden is an able candidate to replace last year’s quarterback, Hayden Hawk. He seems like a strong leader, focused on team chemistry above all else, and has the building blocks (size, speed) of a great passer.

His play last evening was more mixed. Even though he was wearing a different-colored jersey (which signified he could only be hit above the waist, to avoid injury), Minden was jumpy in the pocket, often dropping back too far or throwing off his back foot. Much of this can be attributed to jitters—the pressure associated with first-string quarterbacking is a very real consideration—but the coaching staff will need to build Minden’s confidence before season’s beginning.

Minden will have plenty of help from his teammates in this. The entire offensive line from last year’s team is returning. Last season, the offensive line was the team’s Achilles Heel. No longer.

“Last season gave the O line a lot more confidence, which will help with the run and pass game,” Minden said. “They’re tough and mature, and know what it takes to play of Varsity.”

Coppell’s star running back, junior Cam McDaniel, is also returning. McDaniel will be a valuable asset to the team, both in his powerful running ability (a lifesaver as Minden gets accustomed to his role as a passer) and not inconsiderable leadership skills.

The last of the team’s returning talent isn’t a player at all: head coach Joe McBride is finally settled at CHS. Expect to see the full force of his coaching talent at work this season, because he can spend less time forging relationships and expectations (the goal of any first-year coach) and more for on-field strategy.

“You have to respect what [McBride] did last year,” McDaniel said. “Our run in playoffs last season was one of the greatest achievements in Coppell’s history. We understand that, but we have to build on that.”

In order to build on last year’s successes, the team will need to mesh as a unit, and pull its own weight.

“Last year’s team was great, but it’s gone now,” McDaniel said. “It’s up to us to carry on the legacy.”

2