Quinoa craze: meet the best dish you never knew about (with video)
Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.
Email This Story
More stories from Joseph Krum
April 25, 2017
April 19, 2017
Many people nowadays are trying to find healthy alternatives to the foods that they already eat, and I wanted to find one that has lots of flavor. This recipe is one of the better options for a healthy meal that doesn’t sacrifice flavor. Here is how you make it:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 4 large green bell peppers
- One 15 ounce can of black beans
- 3 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 3 chopped green onions (quantity is preference)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Place quinoa, 2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce it to a simmer for 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes, remove it from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes covered to cool.
- In a large saucepan, bring at least 3 quarts water to boil and add 2 teaspoons of salt to the water. Then, cut the top inch of the bell peppers off and remove core and seeds inside the pepper.
- Place bell peppers in the boiling water for 5 minutes and then remove and place in a rimmed baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix cooked quinoa, drained black beans, 3 cups grated cheese, chopped onions and cumin.
- Stuff the bell peppers with the mix and then put 1/4 cup of water in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then remove the dish from the oven and top the peppers with grated cheese. Cook dish uncovered until the cheese melts.