Council meeting leads to Coppell change

Mary Whitfill

Features Editor

At a recent city council meeting, the City of Coppell approved the purchase of four new fire engines to replace the older vehicles currently serving the city’s residents. The new vehicles will include a new ladder engine and the purchase is estimated to total $49,998

In the same meeting, the council approved the naming of the week of Feb. 20-26, Severe Weather Awareness Week. The council approved the proclamation 7-0 and council members said that after being iced out for 102 hours the week before, it was a good time to recognize the dangerous that accompany server weather.

The council also considered the approval of a resolution to suspend the proposed rate increase requested by Oncor Electric Delivery Company.

Also in the meeting, the city approved the spending of a maximum of $5,779,028 to expand the Aquatic and Recreation Center. The construction will be contracted to EMJ Construction.

The city’s parks and recreation department was presented an award from the Commission for Accreditation of Parks and Recreation Agencies. The Coppell parks and recreation department was one of only 97 parks and recreation agencies nationally to be accredited by the commission.