• On Tuesday, Coppell Arts Center hosts State of Education organized by the Coppell Chamber of Commerce from 8:30-10 a.m.
  • On Wednesday, Coppell Arts Center hosts May Paint & Sip: Hummingbird at 6 p.m.
  • On Saturday, Town Center Plaza hosts Celebrate Cozby Library from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Health Science Tech students participate in virtual simulation

by Divya Kumar
News Editor

As part of their final examination for the end of the year, Brenda Brinkman’s Health Science Tech students are participating in a virtual simulation this Friday, May 14. The students are given five minutes to treat a series of people in situations that require medical assistance.

Each of the “injured” people are played by Coppell High School drama students, enlisted to help with the simulation. The extent of their fatalities range from being unconcious, to doused in blood, or to having a heart attack. The students must be able to diagnose how to act in each situation and what tools to use based off of what they have learned throughout the year.

The purpose of this activity is for the students to have a more practical demonstration of the skills they have learned this year. Since up till this point, most of the work that they have been doing is mainly theoretical – from their textbook and medical slides – it is vital that the students understand what to do in a more hands-on situation.

Next year, in the Health Science II class, the students that make the cut will have the opportunity to take out two periods of their day to visit a local hospital and volunteer. There, they will be able to practice what they have learned and work alongside doctors to gain medical experience before college. Health Science II students have had the opportunity to do things from simply helping out to being able to watch open-heart surgery.

To learn more about the Health Science Tech program at Coppell High School, click here, or contact sponsor Brenda Brinkman.

2