Teen regains new appreciation for Mom as Mother’s Day approaches

Senior Maddie Walters and her mother Leah Weikel

Maddie Walters

I’ll admit it, my mom and I are close. Now don’t get me wrong when I say that, my mother and I both have thriving social lives that do not revolve around each other and I think it’s safe to say that we both like it that way.

But almost a month ago my mom accepted a temporary assignment in San Antonio, which meant for me that I would only be able to see my mother on weekends for the next three months. For some people this situation might be seen as a relief, but  for me it means my rock has kind of taken a leave of absence.

Not that I blame my mom, I fully understand why she chose to take the assignment. I just miss her. And with Mother’s Day on the horizon I’ve been able to recognize and appreciate all of these emotions.

I am going to miss my mom in college. I am going to miss having someone to talk to about any problem I could possibly think of. I am going to miss having someone volunteer to go kick my boyfriend’s butt when we get in a fight. And I am going to miss getting hugs from someone who loves me unconditionally.

I have a fantastic mother and I realize how blessed I am to be able to say and know that fact. That’s why this year I plan to let this epiphany shine this Mother’s Day by letting my mom know how much I appreciate her. I encourage you to do the same.