¡Celebrate Cinco de Mayo!

In September of 1810, Mexico declared their independence from Spain. Mexican soldiers fought endlessly for 11 years to gain their freedom, and finally on the morning of May 5 (Cinco de Mayo), those soldiers brought down 8,000 French soldiers (the French had come in and made deals with the Spanish and English armies so they would leave and the French could take control of Mexico) at Puebla, Mexico.

Although the country of Mexico does not hold this holiday as significant as their actual independence day, September 16, 1810, and do not celebrate it, the Cinco de Mayo tradition has been celebrated in the United States for over 100 years.

Cinco de Mayo is a day to honor the Mexican culture and their long fight for freedom and liberty. Whether you wear a Mexican dress today, go out to eat at one of your local Mexican food restaurants or simply change the radio station to 107.5 on your way home, Cinco de Mayo is a day to be honored and celebrated by all people, no matter what culture you are.

Some local restaurants to check out for Mexican food are:

1. Uncle Julio’s – Located in Addison on Dallas Parkway or in Grapevine off William D. Tate Avenue, Uncle Julio’s offers “authentic border style” meals and has the best queso in Dallas.
  2. Los Amigos – Los Amigos is a quaint restaurant in Grapevine. Don’t let the appearance fool you, the food is to die for.
  3. Rosa’s – Most people in Coppell have heard of this new Mexican food restaurant. If you are in a hurry tonight, Rosa’s is an excellent place to drive through and pick up dinner for yourself while still having traditional Mexican food.

Wear red, green and white, eat chips and salsa or some steamy fajitas, but no matter what you do celebrate Mexico! ¡Happy Cinco de Mayo y Viva Mexico!