CHS debate duo advances to Tournament of Champions

by Divya Kumar
News Editor

This weekend, debate partners, junior Priyanka Krishnamurthy and senior Joey Donaghy plan to advance to the Tournament of Champions (TOC) in Kentucky. This special debate duo, who has advanced at a series of tournaments over the course of the school year, have demonstrated their talent by being the only team from Coppell advancing.

The TOC, comprised of 65 teams this year from around the nation, is essentially just a large tournament. Series of debate partners who have won at least 2 bids in each of the tournaments they participated at home – a difficult feat – will compete at the Tournament of Champions in order to claim their title as champion.

Krishnamurthy and Donaghy’s hard work throughout the year has proved to pay off with this recognition.

“I really like working with Joey,” Krishnamurthy said. “We’re good friends, which helps us when we debate together, and I think that’s one of the reasons this has happened.”

Krishnamurthy expresses excitement over the advancement.

“We’ve been working really hard all year, and it’s nice to see this pay off,” Krishnamurthy said. “It’s been difficult with the amount of work that we’ve put into it – especially these last few weeks, when everyone’s been scrambling – but I think that we’re pretty prepared.”

To read more about this year’s Tournament of Champions, click here, or talk to a CHS debate team member.