Flower Mound’s speed too much for Cowgirls

Ava Mora

Coppell High School junior midfielder Ella Jenkins runs downfield. The Cowgirls lost to the Flower Mound Jaguars, 13- 4 on Saturday at Coppell Middle School North.

Anvitha Reddy, Staff Writer

Three consecutive goals by Coppell sophomore attacker Anna Terry, New Tech sophomore attacker Finley Tipton, and Faith Christian School sophomore Claire Bryant resulted in Coppell only trailing by two goals in the first half.

But with Flower Mound’s consistent offense, the Cowgirls were able to score only one more goal, losing to the Jaguars in their last non-distinct game, 13-4. The Cowgirls are currently 1-3 in their non-district season.

Flower Mound, which plays Division I, challenged  Coppell. Between its speed on the field, consistent and successful passes and its strong defense its posed a challenge to the Cowgirls. The Jaguars aggression, however, dominated Coppell.  Creating six fouls, while Coppell had none, the Jaguars defense took on any attacker. 

“They did really well on transitions and they were just moving really quickly so it was hard to mark up and stay on the people that we were supposed to stay on, ” Terry said . 

Flower Mound’s dominance coupled with critical errors made by the Cowgirls, led it to solidify its lead in the second half, only allowing the Cowgirls one goal. However, the Jaguars scored eight.

During practice, the Cowgirls hope to analyze their tendencies and work on fixing them for the first district game next week. 

At  practice we can do some drills that we saw and be able to adjust commonalities that we saw,” Coppell assistant Ashley Schiro said. “Mainly shooting, we are shooting a lot from the left side and no one on our team is left handed, so focusing on shooting from the right and just transitioning in the field.”

The Cowgirls players think they need to do a better job communicating.

“Listening to what the coaches say on the sideline and implementing in during the game and not just being tunnel visioned [is key to winning]” Schiro said. 

For Flower Mound, sophomore Sophia Virani led  its offense, gaining possession of the ball from the Cowgirls. 

The Cowgirls, disappointed in their decisions, hope to improve the critical skills that cost them the game. 

“We made some decisions that we probably shouldn’t have made,” Terry said. “We need to work knowing what we need to do on the field and what the coaches expectation is.”

The Cowgirls play Keller on Thursday at Coppell Middle School North at 7 p.m.

Follow Anvitha Reddy (@anvithareddytx) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.