Coppell hoping to tackle competition at state wrestling finals

Ava Mora

New Tech High @ Coppell senior captain Brooke Massaviol wrestles in top position against Frisco Independence junior Sariah Ferguson at the Knockout Sportswear Cowgirl Classic on Dec. 6 in the CHS Arena. Massaviol has qualified for today and tomorrow’s UIL State Wrestling Championship after placing third in the 148 pound weight class in the Class 6A Region II Championship match.

Emma Meehan, Staff Writer

One Cowboy and four Cowgirls traveled to Houston yesterday for today and tomorrow’s UIL State Wrestling Championship at the Berry Center, looking to capitalize on their strong finish at last weekend’s Class 6A Region II Championship match.

Coppell junior Hannah Francis earned her ticket to state by finishing atop the 215 pound weight class division at regionals. Francis hopes to extend her undefeated record this season to state.

Coppell sophomore Maria Husain, seniors Brooke Massaviol and Jackson Briscoe and freshman Scout Carrell also collected their spot at state.

Massaviol and Briscoe placed third in the 148 and 170 pound weight classes, respectively. Husain finished fourth and Carrell placed fifth in the 95 pound weight class.

“The team is motivated to do well at state by the work we’ve put in,” Briscoe said. “As a team, it often takes the person next to you to motivate you to do better and the coaches have developed a culture that really helps the team want to win.”

Briscoe is the male captain of the Coppell wrestling team, alongside female captain Massaviol. Briscoe expressed his desire to place at state and hopes the team as a whole can succeed in their respective weight class divisions.

Francis, Husain, Massaviol, Briscoe and Carrell all face off against 15 competitors in their respective weight class divisions in hopes of topping the rest.

Follow Emma (@emmameehan_) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.