Cowgirls taking on Hebron in tough district match-up

Anvitha Reddy, Staff Writer

Tracy Tran
Coppell sophomore outside hitter Haley Holz awaits a serve during the match against Marcus in the CHS Arena on Sept. 24. The Cowgirls face Hebron in the CHS Arena at 6:30 p.m. tonight.

The Coppell volleyball team plays Hebron at 6:30 p.m. in the Coppell High School Arena tonight for the sixth match of its District 6-6A season. 

After playing at Irving earlier this week, the Cowgirls (4-2 in district,  22-14 overall) faces powerhouse Hebron (4-2 in district, 23-12 overall), which was state champions from 2015-17. Both Coppell and Hebron played in challenging matches this season, each losing to Marcus and Flower Mound. The Cowgirls have strategized against the Hawks by recognizing their own strengths and Hebron’s weaknesses. 

“We’ve scouted them pretty well, we watched film and looked at their tendencies,” Coppell senior middle blocker Peyton Minyard said  “[We] figured out our strengths and their weaknesses, and hopefully that will help us in the game on Friday.”

In addition, Coppell hopes to improve its consistency throughout the match.

“The past few matches we have been on and off in terms of consistency,” Coppell senior libero Maci Watrous said “I really hope we can work together to have consistent offense and defense for a good way to start the second round of district.”

A victory after a difficult match is critical to the Cowgirls as they anticipate the second round of district and playoffs. Hebron, being known for its strong offense, will make the match challenging for the Cowgirls; however, a win would set them up for a strong remainder of the season.

“This is a very important match for us, we need to be one of the top four [teams to make playoffs] and this is a deciding factor,” Minyard said “ it’s really important for us to win and it’s a very important game [for the rest of the season].”

Follow Anvitha Reddy (anvithareddytx) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.