I Dare to B club opens doors for IB students

Paige Wilson

The International Baccalaureate program has definitely made a mark on Coppell High in a short amount of time. Junior Farah Mithani is taking the lead to bring more IB activities to CHS. Mithani has created a new club for the IB students called I Dare to B.

With so many clubs at CHS it is hard for one to stand out amongst the rest but Mithani is determined to do just that. The sole purpose for the creation of the club was to help IB students gain CAS hours in creative ways. CAS stands for creativity, action, and service. IB students must obtain 150 CAS hours by half way into their second year of IB.

Junior Daniela Gatian, who is the event coordinator of the club, understands how difficult the CAS process can be.

“People in band and track can obtain CAS hours pretty easy but, if you aren’t involved in a main stream activity like that it can be difficult to get the required amount,” Gatian said. “I am really happy this club was created so I can receive CAS hours and do interesting activities at the same time.”

However, Mithani is not just creating this club to get CAS hours but she also wants students to be able to have fun with a school related activity.

“Today it is so hard to ever get a chance to be involved in fun activities that we use to do when we were younger like rock climbing and ice skating,” Mithani said. “We are so busy with homework and SAT’s that we never get a chance to do anything. That’s why I thought students could really benefit from this club”.

IB English teacher Michael Vergien added the I dare to B club to his long list of clubs to sponsor. However the club sparked his interest.

“I chose to sponsor the I Dare to B club because it sounded really cool,” Vergien said.

Mithani along with the other officers of the club are planning a series of events to get the club started. The group has already gone rock climbing but they are also planning on going ice skating and horseback riding. They are also planning IB soccer and ultimate Frisbee.

The group also wants to start giving back to their community.

“There has been talk of maybe arranging a trip down to the homeless shelters in Dallas and working with the organization to help out,” Mithani said.

The group is also trying to explore the wide range of cultures that are in IB. They are trying to organize a dinner for the students. The students will each bring a special for from his or hers culture and they will talk about each culture and try each others traditions.

“In IB there is such a wide range of cultures and we feel it is a great environment for students to learn more about each other,” Gaitan said.

The club has had major success among IB students however there are ideas spreading around the club about opening it up to the entire school.

“If the club continues to be successful we are considering opening it up to the entire school,” Mithani said.

The club will continue to meet every Tuesday morning in Mr. Vergien’s room. Members can look for Facebook announcements about club events.