Oprah’s message hits home

Allie Perison
Editor in Chief

I was dreading MAPS class this week. I had heard about the Oprah episode we were going to watch and admit I was a little irritated.

I am not proud to say that I am guilty of texting while driving. There have been multiple occasions that I have found myself unable to wait to reply to whoever is on the other end of the phone. The ironic thing is that I pride myself in thinking I am a safe driver, but this weeks MAPS proved me wrong.

As I watched that Oprah episode I was reminded of how much I am putting at risk, not only my life, but other people’s family members.

I had a friend who died in a car accident three years ago. The driver was talking on her phone when she struck my friend’s car leaving her brain dead. For a year after that I avoided using my phone while driving, but as time passed, I started thinking it was acceptable again.

This week reminded me just how dangerous it is. As I watched story after story of peoples lives ending partly because of a phone I realized how important this message is.

I really hope that everyone takes it seriously and that if they didn’t watch that they check out Oprah’s website.