Outdoor movie showings captivate viewers throughout city

Frances Ruiz

Town Center Plaza before the start of "Jurassic Park" movie showing. Photo by Frances Ruiz.
In the midst of light April showers and blooming fields of spring, the feature film Jurassic Park enthralled viewers during its outside showing at the Town Center Plaza in Coppell.

With the smell of buttery popcorn and freshly cut grass saturating the outdoor air, several Coppell residents settled in to watch the Spielberg classic at 8 p.m. Families, as well as the hand full of teenagers in attendance, brought blankets, lawn chairs and various forms of dinner to the small area behind Town Center. Complete with a popcorn stand, small area of picnic tables, and a moderately sized viewing screen, the event captured the feel of a drive-in movie but lacked the hassles of speaker boxes and distant locations.

Coppell High School senior Erika Provost thought the event was one of enjoyable standards.

“I love that the city is putting on events like these,” Provost said. “With such a safe, easygoing atmosphere, it’s easy to relax and have a good time while having a movie night with no costs.”

Specifically requested by Coppell citizens in a recent survey distributed throughout the city, outdoor movie showings and outdoor concerts placed at the top of the list of what residents wanted more of. Shortly after the Town Center Plaza had been built, it was deemed by the Parks and Recreation Department that movies would be continually shown at this location. Information pertaining to the event such as movie listings and show times were made available and could be found on the City of Coppell Website.  

Coppell community goer Laura Fleming discovered the event while searching the internet.

“I was looking for a day camp for my kids when I stumbled across the movie showings,” Fleming said. “After reading about it on the site, I realized what a great idea it was and decided to take my family.”  

Having begun Mar. 19, the showings were featured as an ongoing event throughout the Coppell community this spring. Organized and coordinated by the Coppell Parks and Recreation Department, pre-approved movies will continue to play each Friday night at the Town Center Plaza until April 12. While the types of showings vary in both content ratings and subject matter, films were chosen based on their ability to entertain a wide range of viewers. While this week’s showing of Jurassic Park may have appealed to an older audience, next week’s animated film The Iron Giant will surely speak to young children throughout the city.

Special Event Coordinator Sherri Lewis felt that the showings offered a fun alternative to other activities.  

“People will enjoy the outdoor event because it’s a good time for everyone,” Lewis said. “It’s a way to do something different while keeping it family oriented.”

An undeniably great way to kick off the spring season, such showings in the Town Center Plaza will be sure to attract viewers throughout the community while enabling social interaction and community growth.