Cowgirls shoot past Indians in bi-district playoffs

Mari Pletta

Coppell junior midfielder/defender Montse Lomeli fights for the ball during the game against Keller on Thursday night at NISD Stadium. The Cowgirls won, 3-0, and move on to the second round of playoffs as bi-district champions.

Nicholas Pranske, Executive Sports Editor

JUSTIN – It was 35 minutes of passing, shooting, missing, repeat before the first goal in last night’s Class 6A Region I bi-district playoffs.

In the end, the Coppell girls soccer team defeated Keller, 3-0.

The Cowgirls play Mansfield Lake Ridge in the area playoffs on Monday.

“For the first 35 minutes, we were right there,” Coppell coach Ryan Dunlevy said. “We were one touch away, one step away, one yard away. We were building to it, you could tell one was coming if we continued to do the things we were doing.”

While it was nearly halftime when the Cowgirls (26-1-1) first scored, they were on the attack most of the game. However, they were patient with their scoring opportunities.

The first goal came from senior midfielder Jojo Alonzo, who tapped in a rebound from two yards out. With just five minutes left in the half after that, there was no more major action.

The second and third goals came from freshman midfielder Michelle Pak. With 30 minutes left in the game, Pak shot it across the goal from left to right for Coppell’s second goal.

The third one left fans both surprised and in awe. With less than 15 minutes to play, Pak curved in a delicate shot into the top-left corner of the goal from nearly 35 yards out. What looked like a way to get rid of the ball turned into the final goal of the game.

Although the Cowgirls shut out the Indians (9-7-4), there were multiple shots on Coppell that almost went in. However, Coppell’s junior keeper, Lauren Kellett, was always there to stop it.

“A good keeper can make a team,” Dunlevy said. “She can be that final piece that really solidifies how great they can be. We have a great one in her – not only as a player, but as a leader on the field.”