Empowered activists to engage in Dallas Women’s March

During+the+2017+Dallas+Women%E2%80%99s+March%2C+activists+fight+for+equal+rights.+On+Sunday%2C+the+third+annual+march+will+take+place+at+the+St.+Paul+United+Methodist+Church.+

Sidekick file photo

During the 2017 Dallas Women’s March, activists fight for equal rights. On Sunday, the third annual march will take place at the St. Paul United Methodist Church.

Pramika Kadari, Copy Editor

On Sunday at 2 p.m., crowds will fill the streets of Dallas for the third annual Dallas Women’s March, beginning at the St. Paul United Methodist Church.

State Representatives Victoria Neave and Rhetta Bowers led the event’s coordination, along with a group of volunteers.

The Dallas Women’s March stands not only for feminism, but for racial equality, religious tolerance and all other equal rights movements.

“People should go to the [Dallas] Women’s March because you really get the true feeling of women uniting to get the rights we deserve,” Coppell High School junior Athira Suresh said. “I already have been to one of them in Chicago, but I probably will go [this year] again.”

The diverse group of participants across all ages, races and genders will march toward the Dallas City Hall.

I feel like many people judge people who are feminists, because they don’t know the definition of feminist,” Suresh said. “I would define feminism as someone who wants equal rights for women. That doesn’t mean subduing the rights of men.”

Because parking will be limited, the organization has advised attendees to utilize public transportation methods, along with services such as Uber. The march is expected to conclude at approximately 5:30 p.m.

Follow Pramika on Twitter @pramika_kadari