Pep rally dance-off interrupted

by Ashley Attanucci

Today’s Battle of the Sexes pep rally was probably one of the most entertaining for everyone, fun to watch and fun for the many who participated; the boys versus girls activities of tug-of-war, trivia and dress-up had boys and girls in the audience engaged. But it was the dance-off that had onlookers mesmerized, with popping, break dancing, moon-walking and other hip-hop moves that captivated the audience.

That’s why so many students were stunned to hear and see the 2nd group’s performance stopped prematurely by assistant principal Sean Bagley and cheer coach Brynlea Taylor who together led the pep rally.

Seniors Jin Hyun and Sean Kim participating in the dance-off of the Battle of the Sexes pep rally. Photo by Henna Khan

It was 20 seconds til the end of seniors’ Jin Hyun and Sean Kim’s performance when the music died down, leaving the dancers and the audience confused. I thought to myself that their sharp ending could’ve been better, assuming the performance to be over with the seizing of the music, but as soon as I saw the puzzled faces of Hyun and Kim and Coach Taylor rushing for a conclusion to the dance-off, I knew they had been cut-off. It was an act many students perceived as  rude.

The abrubt interruption was not due to a time-constraint but due to a profanity (the “s-word”) heard in the lyrics of Lil Wayne’s “A Milli”, despite the group having had rehearsed in the gym prior to the pep rally performance.

“I thought it wasn’t going to be a big deal because before the pep rally began, Mr. Bagley played the music twice so we went ahead and did [the dance],” said Hyun. “I was really upset that we couldn’t finish it. We practiced for a long time. They should have told us beforehand.”

Bravo to Hyun and Kim who played it off like good sports and I say encore to their amazing (though unfinished) performance.

1