Cowboys look for district win with playoffs in sight

Coppell junior quarterback Drew Cerniglia sets up to throw a pass against Marcus at Buddy Echols Field on Oct. 19. The Cowboys will play Irving tonight at 7 p.m. at Joy & Ralph stadium in Irving.

Bren Flechtner

Bren Flechtner

Bren Flechtner

Nicholas Pranske, Executive Sports Editor

The Coppell football team will play Irving tonight at Joy & Ralph Ellis Stadium.

The Cowboys (5-2 overall, 3-1 in District 6-6A) recorded an exciting win over Marcus with a game-winning field goal in the final minute. The Tigers are winless this season.

However, that was the third game-deciding play this season. Despite the Cowboys winning all three, their offense still has work to be done.

Over the course of the season, the Cowboys have struggled to find a secure role of starting quarterback, bouncing between junior Drew Cerniglia and senior Rasheed Noel. However, against Marcus, Cerniglia began to click with his receivers and ended up throwing a few crucial passes in the final quarter.

“Cerniglia’s really coming along as a quarterback,” senior safety/wide receiver Jonathan McGill said. “He’s making a lot of plays and he’s really helping our team bond.”

McGill, previously more of a defensive player, has stepped into the role of primary wide receiver this year. With senior Blake Jackson pursuing his baseball career, the Cowboys lost a top receiver and McGill has filled that role well.

Kickoff is at 7 p.m. and tickets can be purchased at the gate.

Follow live coverage on Twitter @SidekickSports.

Nicholas is a junior and is currently in his second year on staff. He enjoys writing sports coverage and the occasional column. You can often see him on...

Bren Flechtner, Photography Editor

Bren Flechtner is a senior and third year staffer on The Sidekick. In her free time, she enjoys sewing, taking photos and spending time with friends...