KCBY lives up to reputation at competition

By Ellen Cameron

The day before the glitz and glamour of the Academy Awards, a mimicry of this Hollywood flair unfolds in the ballroom of the Disneyland Hotel, as winners of the film contest are announced by well-coiffed professionals.

This scene, however, is set by teens, in the Student Television Network Convention in Anaheim, Calif. on March 3-6. The award ceremony closed a weekend of film contests, in which Coppell High School’s own KCBY competed—and, in promotional announcement, placed second out of hundreds.

Though the 21 staff members had a chance to hang out and bond on the flight to Orange County, as they were for the most part the only passengers, everything was all business as soon as the wheels hit the tarmac; the first competition was just a short time away, and it was a rush to make it in time.

The teams competed seven events: standup, short story, public service announcement, spot feature, promotional announcement, commercial and 60 second staged. Due to unfortunate circumstances, however, the teams in short film and 60-second were disqualified by missing deadline by mere seconds.

“The best part was the experience,” senior KCBY program director Hannah Gill said. “One group didn’t meet deadline, one couldn’t edit, but we did win an award, and it was more real world experience that we get from just our show.”

Moreoever, KCBY gained another important life lesson about learning the most from loss.

“It was a really good experience that taught about deadlines and playing your part together,” senior KCBY program director Sterling VanStrohe said. “Also, since we thought [our project] was really good but didn’t place, [we realized that] our [hard work and effort] should show and we should still be proud of it.”

Ultimately, the weekend was successful, marked not only by personal growth, but also by the unexpected victory in promotional announcement, which is similar to a commercial. 

In all, through all the successes and experiences, KCBY gives the high school something to be proud of.

“It was a tremendous opportunity for them to be surrounded by thousands of students dedicated to what we do: video production,” KCBY advisor Irma Kennedy said. “It was motivating for them to see kids motivated that way.”