Coppell Speech and Debate teams advance to state

by Divya Kumar
News Editor

After months of intense practice and excelling at various local tournaments, the Coppell speech and debate teams have made it to their state level of competition. Taking place this week, starting from tomorrow afternoon till Saturday night, the teams will be driving to El Paso to continue competing.

In order to have achieved this level, each group of debaters – competing in pairs as partners – was required to get 10 state points. These points were obtained during the local tournaments during which the teams first had to advance to be one of the top eight teams for finals, top six for semi’s and then top four for quarters.

Eight policy debaters, four teams, are planning on attending this state competition. Junior Priyanka Krishnamurthy, partners with senior Joey Donaghy, expresses her excitement about attending the tournament.

“I’ve got to travel to lots of places through debate,” Krishnamurthy said. “I love the experience of meeting new people to compete against, instead of the same people that we see at locals all the time. I think we’re prepared for state.”

Along with these policy debaters, one public foum team and the drama/interp students will also be attending the state competition in El Paso as well.

To learn more about the TFA state competition, click here. The official sendoff for these teams will take place on Wednesday.