Dark play with a twist

Coppell High School Theatre presents “The Addams Family” musical

Coppell High School seniors Macy Johnson, who plays  Morticia Addams, and Mark Beshai who plays Gomez Addams, sing during a romantic scene of “The Addams Family” on Saturday night in the auditorium. “The Addams Family” musical will also be performed this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Quyenh Phang

Coppell High School seniors Macy Johnson, who plays Morticia Addams, and Mark Beshai who plays Gomez Addams, sing during a romantic scene of “The Addams Family” on Saturday night in the auditorium. “The Addams Family” musical will also be performed this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Anika Arutla, Staff Writer

Throughout movie history, “The Addams Family”
is known for being dark and wicked, but Coppell High School Theatre takes the family and places them in a musical full of humor.

“We chose “The Addams Family” because I knew last year – and looking at who was still going to be here – that we had a lot of good character actors,” CHS theater director Lisa Tabor said. “This lent itself toward that.”

The play, which opened on Saturday, was announced in May, with the director and designers beginning to prep over the summer. The actors had about eight weeks to prep, while the tech department had only two weeks.

“In the summer I started to work really hard,” said CHS senior Macy McCready, who plays the leading role of Wednesday Addams. “[It was] just countless hours, so much of my time. The past eight weeks of my life, that is what I’ve been doing.”

A lot of hard work, time and dedication went into the production not only by the actors, but also by the tech department, parents, the NAHS (National Art Honor Society) and STEM program. They helped build and decorate the props used in the play.

“I have spent many days and nights here for the past two, three weeks, it has been eight weeks of pure working nonstop,” said CHS sophomore Fran Jaubert, a member of the flies department. “I would come on Saturdays and Sundays. I would get here around 9 a.m. and I wouldn’t leave until 7 p.m.”

Despite the musical’s success, not everything went according to plan.

“We had a couple of kids get injured, an actress accidentally fell into the orchestra pit and broke her wrist,” Tabor said. “But you know everybody rises to the occasion.

Twitter: @AnikaArutla

Quyenh Phang
Coppell High School senior Katie Love who played Alice Beineke in “The Addams Family” musical performed a powerful performance with a strong voice. The entire play was full of enthusiasm and excitement.
Quyenh Phang
On Thursday, “The Addams Family” cast had a dress rehearsal at CHS in the auditorium. Towards the beginning of the musical, the main cast of “The Addams Family” was being introduced with “The Addams Family” theme song.