Second half rally sends Cowboys past Boyd (with video)

Victory sets stage for match up with state power

4. Coppell High School senior Pierce McFarlane tackles McKinney Boyd as they run the ball for a touchdown. Last nights game at Buddy Echols Field was a close game, but the cowboys went home with a win, 34-24. Photo by Bren Flechtner.

Nicholas Pranske, Staff Writer

The Coppell Cowboys beat the McKinney Boyd Broncos, 34-24, Friday night at Buddy Echols Field in a neck and neck showdown up until the end.

Having beaten the Broncos last season 31-21, confidence was expected from the Cowboys. However, coming out with a win was harder than anticipated.

Cowboys’ receiver Gabe Lemons gave the reassurance of a win when, with only four minutes left in the game, caught a pass and ran nearly 50 yards after the catch to score. The near-heroic act, as it seemed, put the Cowboys ahead by 10.

Next week, the Cowboys will have a bit more of a challenge as Coppell travels to play the state ranked Allen Eagles. In order to win next week, offensive line coach Blake Johnson thinks improvements have to be made.

“We [have to] be more physical and we have to finish our blocks. If we don’t then it’ll look like the first half of [Friday’s game] and we won’t stand a chance,” Johnson said.

After the win against Boyd and looking forward to Allen, wide receiver Blake Jackson seems excited to have some tough competition.

“[Allen’s] a really good team but you know what? We’re a really good team too so it’ll be a fun game play,” Johnson said.

In the first drive, McKinney Boyd’s defense started off with a couple of tackles and a quick sack against quarterback Brady McBride. This not only held Coppell to only a field goal by kicker Caden Davis but also gave them a taste of what was to come throughout the first half.

Boyd got itself on the scoreboard on the next drive, scoring a touchdown off of a 15-yard reception. The score at the end of the first quarter was 7-3.

The Cowboys (2-0) then got an early lead by starting the second quarter off with a blocked punt, followed by a touchdown the junior tight end Jack Lookabaugh. This put the Cowboys up by 3; 10-7. But, just a minute later, Boyd turns it around with a 30 yard outside run for a touchdown to make it 14-10 Broncos.

The back-and-forth tempo of the game stays constant throughout the rest of the first half, only disrupted by a field goal by McKinney Boyd (0-2). The halftime score was 17-10, in favor of McKinney Boyd.

The Cowboys’ defense seemed to be struggling in the first half, which may have something to do with the fact that junior cornerback Jonathan McGill was not 100% healthy. In the past week, McGill sustained a minor wrist injury. Although he still played, his minutes were limited, which may have cost the Cowboys a few points.

In the second half, however, the Coppell defense rose up to its potential starting with two consecutive sacks by groups of defensive linemen and linebackers. This gave the Cowboys momentum that carried on through the rest of the game.

With a touchdown reception to junior receiver Blake Jackson, the Cowboys quickly tied the game at 17. On the next Coppell drive, junior Caden Davis kicked a 40-yard field goal to give the Cowboys a lead.

Going into the fourth, the Cowboys were winning, 20-17. This lead was expanded when senior quarterback Brady McBride found Jackson to score; 27-17 Coppell. But, eager to make a comeback, Boyd scored on an inside run soon after to make the score with about 5 minutes left in the game, cutting the lead to 27-24.

The Cowboys’ game with the Allen Eagles next Friday, September 15 at 7:30 p.m. at the Allen Eagles Stadium.