Retail gas stations fill with cars as gas prices rise

Like+many+other+gas+stations+in+Coppell%2C+the+7+Eleven+at+Sandy+Lake+and+Denton+Tap+Rd+was+shut+down+due+to+a+sudden+demand+for+oil+that+exhausted+their+supplies.+With+gas+prices+as+high+as+%242.59+citizens+are+rushing+to+their+nearby+gas+stations+to+fill+up+their+vehicles.+Photo+by+Akif+Abidi.+

Like many other gas stations in Coppell, the 7 Eleven at Sandy Lake and Denton Tap Rd was shut down due to a sudden demand for oil that exhausted their supplies. With gas prices as high as $2.59 citizens are rushing to their nearby gas stations to fill up their vehicles. Photo by Akif Abidi.

Amelia Vanyo, Editor-In-Chief

Two days ago, a Washington Post article predicted that Hurricane Harvey would push gas prices up anywhere from 5 to 10 cents. But after the two largest oil refineries in the country shut down due to the hurricane, prices aren’t the only concern: having any fuel supply at all is becoming an issue as gas stations around Texas report limited to no supplies.

People began rushing to their local gas stations last night, eager to fill up their tank before prices spiked.

“My mom told me they were closing down gas stations for a while,” Coppell High School junior JR Barker said. “I went to get gas yesterday, and I was there for about 30 minutes [because of the crowd].”

Though there is concern for limited supplies, according to Texas Railroad Commissioner Ryan Sitton, there is no actual shortage. Instead, the current shortage is attributed to an extremely high volume of gas consumers.

AAA reported today’s national average gas price at $2.449, while a month ago prices were marked at $2.316. Texas has experienced the 10th most change in all of the United States, and AAA also reported that retail gas station outages have been reported throughout the state.

“I heard about it last night,” CHS junior Tim Sanchez said. “I was doing my AP U.S. History homework around 12 a.m. and decided to go get gas. The highest I saw last night was like $2.56. This morning I saw a bunch of places were closed, Costco, QT, Sam’s, Speedy K, Walmart, I’m glad I went when I did.”

According to AAA, what damage has actually been done is still unknown, and prices will continue to increase until there is a clear idea of what has taken place.

Follow Amelia @ameliavanyo